Monday, August 2, 2010

Lau Pa Sat Hawker Centre - Singapore

Yesterday I had my favorite lunch from Lau Pa Sat Hawker Centre in the business district of Singapore. I got a side of rice which took my tab up to $4.80 from $4.00 but it was an extra handful of change I was happy to hand over. I was most impressed by this food stall for making my order of garlic naan fresh in the circular oven in the back--it came out warm. Soft and doughy towards the outer edges. Crispy thin towards the middle and seasoned with the perfect balance of garlic and some other green herb that I couldn't identify. The chickpeas were seasoned with star anise and cinnamon. The fried cauliflower was the spiciest. I tasted what I thought could have been a spicy pickled carrot like you see in Mexican cuisine. It had the faintest crunch to it but was mostly cooked down and "geriatric" as my Mom would call it. The tumeric seasoning on the okra was mild. Altogether these 3 vegetarian dishes balanced each other out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment