Monday, January 3, 2011

Lime and Basil


UNC and William and Mary were playing a few weeks ago on a week night.  A friend and I decided to go for dinner and drinks before the game.  We have always been big fans of Ham’s, but apparently Ham’s is no longer.  The greasy food and cheap drinks are perfect for a pre-game meal.  I was almost happy when I realized Ham’s was closed because I thought a lighter meal at a place like Lime and Basil.  Lime and Basil is a Vietnamese restaurant on Franklin Street, directly across University Square.  

I decided to go with the Pho, mostly because the menu says this is their specialty.  I have seen Pho but never eaten it for myself; if I had I would’ve known that it is not necessarily the lightest dish, especially when ordering the Grand Combo Pho, that consisting of beef shank, flank, eyeround, meatball, tendon, stomach, and brisket.  This huge bowl of deep, rich, flavorful beef broth is filled with rice noodles, the seven different types of beef, and you are able to mix in as much or little of the bean sprouts, chilies, and herbs that come in the accompanying basket.  While it may have not been the best choice for a dish to eat right before you walk down to the Dean Dome, it is definitely a great choice for a meal you don’t soon forget. 

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment