Sunday, February 14, 2010

Watts Grocery


Since I moved to Durham a few months ago, it is sometimes a hassle explaining to people exactly where I live.  What basically ends up happening, is that after some back and forth I realize the easiest thing to say is that I live a couple of blocks from Watts Grocery.  It is a quaint little restaurant that espouses North Carolina cuisine done in a unique, simple and delicious way.  All of these things have made it a staple in the Durham community.    
It was pouring rain, so we were hoping that we did not require a reservation to eat out on a Friday night.  That turned out not to be the case, but even with a 30 minute wait, the meal was worth it.  I started off the night with a Bourbon Sazerac, which has Woodford Reserve Bourbon (my favorite), Peychaud’s Bitters, a sugar cube, Pernod and a lemon twist.  A great cocktail, and luckily I overheard the bartender apologizing for making someone’s drink too strong, and I was able to let her know that there would be no such need for mine.  J My roommate had the Blood Orange Margarita, with Herradura Gold, Cointreau and blood orange puree.  I love blood oranges, and if you do as well, then this is a great drink choice. 
On this night I had the North Carolina Red Drum, served with roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and red peppers.  The drum was cooked perfectly, and while the brussels sprouts were not as good as the ones that I make it home, they were good, and along with the sweet potatoes and red peppers they all worked harmoniously with the fish. 
My roommate had the pan-seared duck breast with a sorghum, sultana raisin, and apple reduction over roasted brussels sprouts and an Anson Mills antebellum grits custard.  While he went against all culinary ideals and ordered the duck medium-well, it was still unbelievably, moist, savory and it tasted like DUCK.  Now that might seem obvious, but many times I have ordered duck at restaurants and been disappointed that I paid 10 more dollars than I would have for the chicken, to have something that tasted quite a bit like chicken.  The rich and slightly gamey taste of a great duck breast is always even better than you remember. 

Overall it was an affordable, filling and tasty meal, and as soon as the high gets above -140 degrees, it will be a great place to walk to from my house, for brunch, dinner or just a few drinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment