Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Study In Oysters


This week I went to Blu for an oyster tasting.  On this night they featured six different types of oysters from all over North America.  It was great to compare all of these delectable delights side by side.  I ordered two of each, covering one with a champagne mignonette and some cocktail sauce, while keeping the other untouched.  I went around the plate, tasting each oyster and then weighing my thoughts on them against the information provided on our menu.  Oysters are one of my favorite foods.  I love them in every preparation, but believe that their true essence is best experienced raw.  It is important to understand that there are vast arrays of oyster varieties, and that you cannot know which is best for you, until you try them all!
-The first kind I tasted Wednesday night were the Appalachicola’s.  January and February are the two best months to eat these gulf coast treats, harvested off the Florida panhandle.  This is because during these months their glycogen levels(what makes them sweet) are the highest.  While these are the best of the gulf coast oysters I have tried, they were definitely my least favorite of the night.  I am partial to a nice dose of salinity in my oysters, and that is something that those from the gulf coast just do not provide.  However, they are a tasty snack, and unlike many other oyster varieties, they are extremely affordable and available at most seafood restaurants. 
-Up second were the Chef’s Creek, from British Columbia.  I loved these because they are big, and I am a huge fan of big oysters, nice and creamy, and a clean taste, but nothing special. 
-Third were the Blue Points from Rhode Island.  Probably the most famous east coast oysters, sweet, salty, big, creamy, and up until this night, my oyster of choice.  While the Blue Points are still near the top in my book, they have now been overtaken by the next oyster on the list. 
-The Crab Sloughs from the Pamlico Sound.  North Carolina oysters don’t necessarily have the greatest reputation, and this is why I tasted my oysters and then looked to see what they were, to avoid any predispositions.  These are the saltiest of all southern oysters, briny, big and full of flavor.    
-Our fifth oysters were the Salvation Coves from Canada.  These were salty up front but only for a second, definitely tasty, but lacking in depth.
-Lastly, we had the Kusshi from Washington State.  These crisp, clean tasting oysters are delicious but definitely not my favorite.  I want a punch in the mouth from my oysters, and these do not fit that bill.  I liken them to a cucumber, a burst of a clean, fresh and vibrant taste, but they are small and definitely not full of flavor.  Since I live on the east coast, they are often one of the more expensive types of oysters, and if I am going to be paying 2 or 3 dollars for per oyster, I want something more filling. 
After the oysters, I had a great conch ceviche that I have written about before, and a mixed green salad, with bacon, apples, and blue cheese.  Overall, this was another excellent meal at Blu, and a great study on the oyster and its many faces. 

1 comment:

  1. as always, blown away! blue points have always been my #1 go-to but then i realized the other day it's because they're the easiest to eat. easiest on the palate i think. they have the safest seeming texture.

    last february i had some gulf coast oysters from louisiana and almost barfed. yuck,i can't stand the sweetness and milky bubbly texture of those things.

    east coast girl through and through!

    ReplyDelete