Sunday, April 18, 2010

Milltown


After a particularly hard day at work, my friend Megan and I headed to a Carrboro staple, Milltown.  I often shy away from this heavily trafficked venue because of the many bad experiences I have had in the past, but I was in the mood for a good beer and a nice warm hearty meal, two things that Milltown does well. 
I ordered the cheddar and beer soup, which was a comforting warm bowl containing big flavors, served with some crusty bread.  For my entrée I had the vegetarian sliders.  These were wonderful black bean cakes, cooked down and melded with a variety of herbs and spices.  Many times people talk about a meaty flavor and texture in things like a veggie burger or a mushroom dish.  I often laugh this off, nothing can taste like meat except meat, this case seemed to be the exception.  With some melted gruyere cheese on top, and accompanied by sweet potato chips, these sliders were off the meter.  After a few beers Megan and I were ready to go home, unfortunately here comes the rub.  One of the reasons I have such disdain for Milltown is the subpar service.  Milltown is the illustration of all of the negative aspects of Carrboro, waiters and waitresses who feel as if you are lucky to be served by them.  We waited for over 30 minutes just to get someone’s attention and ask for the check, and then it was another 10 before we could get that.  The crazy thing is they weren’t even busy.  I had a great meal at Milltown, and almost forgot why I never go there, but unfortunately the taste left in my mouth was not that of a delicious veggie slider, but that of their usual horrendous service.     
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment