Thursday, May 13, 2010

Late Night Grubfest at Emporio



In recent years "getting late night" has evolved from a thrice-weekly hobby to, for the most part, a pasttime. Lord only knows how many late plates I snuck out of the KD dining room and slices of white pizza I walked out of Ben's Pizza with back in the day. But every now and then I find myself in the right company with the right appetite and make an exception to my new rules. This time I classed it up and went with Emporio on Mott between Elizabeth and Prince. I figured if you're gonna do it, go somewhere worth remembering the next morning.

I must note that I was not the only one at the table. While my appetite late at night does increase, you can rest assured it's not to these gargantuan proportions:

tasting of 3 cheeses
mushroom croquettas
pepperoni pizza
mozzarella, proscuitto, & arugula pizza
1 bottle of Dolcetto d'Alba

This was a pretty standard order for a rustic Italian trattoria--I've ordered all of these dishes at least 3 times in my life--but the quality of food rose above...and that's not just the tipsy talking. The atmosphere was warm, lit by small tea lights that reflected a soft glow off the wood interior. I enjoyed the setup we had at our table and would definitely keep this on my list of neighborhood favorites, regardless of time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment