Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bourbon Dinner


Growing up I was a vodka man, or should I say boy.  As I grew into a man, I began to appreciate other spirits, mostly for their complexity of flavor and the abundance of unique high quality choices on the market.  Those were the attributes that attracted me to bourbon more so than any other liquor.  When I heard that my favorite restaurant (as we all know its Blu Seafood and Bar), was having a dinner centered around my most beloved spirit, was there any chance I would not attend?  For $50 apiece, myself and three friends were treated to four courses of Kentucky inspired cuisine all accompanied by a bourbon cocktail.  The perfect event for the Wednesday before the Kentucky Derby. 
Our first course was a baked brie served with a Maker’s Mark Old Fashioned.  I am a huge fan of baked brie, and this luscious, rich and creamy cheese was covered with a drizzle of maple syrup, some slivers of toasted almonds, all easy for dipping and finishing in a matter of seconds.  The Old Fashioned is a classic cocktail with bourbon, sugar, orange and bitters.  The citrusy drink cut right through the brie. 
Our second course was a Kentucky Hot Brown.  Shredded turkey confit, roasted tomatoes, and a bacon mornay sauce over toasted brioche.  This classic dish was served with a new aged cocktail, ‘bourbon sangria’.  Bourbon, mango puree and orange juice made this the best sangria I have ever had.  And the tender turkey and bacon infused mornay made this introduction to Kentucky Hot Browns a memorable one.      
The next plate was something truly unique.  A lamb bbq, served over pureed potatoes and a corn, lima bean and green bean succotash.  The lamb had a distinctive spice rub, was kissed with smoked, shredded like pork bbq but with a taste that was all its own.  This was served with some Elmer T. Lee, a single barreled bourbon that I had on the rocks, and quite frankly it rocked!
We finished up with a piece of pecan pie under a coconut whipped cream.  I am a sucker for pecan pie and homemade whip cream, so this was right in my wheelhouse.  With the Derby around the corner we knew a Mint Julep was in the works, and we were right.  The classic Derby cocktail with a classic Derby dessert, a fitting ending to an unforgettable meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment