Friday, March 19, 2010

The Breslin's Scotch Egg & Onion and Bone Marrow Soup

All I can say is Wow. The Breslin and its decadent menu nearly knocked me off my feet. April Bloomfield, the same chef behind the Spotted Pig, opened up the Breslin last year and I just now discovered it. Like the Spotted Pig, the food is British gastropub and it's all super duper rich. Like whoa super heavy. For example, they have thrice fried french fries which they cover in salt. We ordered the Scotch Egg and Onion and Bone Marrow Soup.

A scotch egg is a soft boiled egg that's wrapped in bacon and then breaded with a peppery dough and deep fried. The dough was a little bit of overkill but their egg was perfectly soft boiled. I wouldn't order it again but glad I tried it.

The onion and bone marrow soup was another story. I can confidently say this was my favorite version of this dish and I love French Onion Soup. They served it like any traditional French Onion Soup with a slice of bread and melted cheese (think they used parm) in a brown baking bowl. The difference in contents was that instead of beef stock they used veal stock and to the veal stock they added bone marrow for flavor. If you're thinking, bone marrow?! yuck! Think again. You can't taste or see or feel the bone marrow in there--it's a taste enhancing component. As for the veal, I learned in my cooking class last week that veal stock imparts more flavor than beef because veal bones are younger and have more gelatin in them which turns out to be a good flavor agent. Hmmph. The end result is a thick, rich stock that's a touch on the sweet side. Bon apetit!

thebreslin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment