Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Drinking on an Empty Stomach


There are a lot of food myths out there; the danger of drinking on any empty stomach is not one of them. Countless studies have proven that the rate of intoxication increases when you have not had much to eat. Eating stems the tide of intoxication, because it decreases the rate of your body’s alcohol absorption. By decreasing your body’s metabolization of alcohol, your stomach contents also decrease the amount of alcohol in your blood stream, which is a nice little tidbit for those who try to push the limits of the law.

I did my own research Friday night. It was no double blind study; actually it all happened by accident. I started drinking as soon as I got off of work, and kept putting off dinner. By the time 9 o’clock rolled around, I was heading off to bed instead of spending the rest of the night with my friends. Not only did this miscalculation affect my night negatively, it led to quite the unpleasant feeling when I woke up the next day. So remember, never drink on an empty stomach, especially if you plan on having more than a couple.
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment