Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spotted Pig Gnudi & Burger

BP and I hit up Spotted Pig for dinner at the bar last week. First up was the sheep's milk ricotta stuffed gnudi with brown butter sauce and crispy sage. Next was the burger cooked medium rare on a brioche bun with rosemary and fried garlic seasoned shoestring fries. If you read my post about the mochi balls, the gnudi was fashioned with the same fundamental structure but instead of rice flour and ice cream, it's potato pasta and creamy cheese. If you think about it, this kind of formula does well across all cuisines if the translations are pierogies, spring rolls, samosas, etc.

I mentioned the Spotted Pig in my Breslin post as they share the same head chef, April Bloomfield. The Spotted Pig takes the same British gastropub approach and similarly turns up the notch on richness and flavor in their dishes. I once had brunch here and nearly passed out on my walk home. A fully cleaned plate of 2 fried duck eggs (which are twice the size of chicken eggs) over a fried chicken liver hash did me in faster than a plate of country ham and grits. Phew. Decadent and health hazardous, but never disappointing.

Next time I go back I'm going to be a little more adventurous and try their roll mops which the bartender told us was pickled herring. Doesn't sound very appetizing but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment