Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Has Sprung


Tonite I went to Acme with my wonderful sister and my awesome friend Megan. Yes I spell tonight, tonite, I just like it better that way. I sent some of my blog entries as writing samples for this food critic job, and that was one of the few things they corrected me on. I know how to spell it, but I just like tonite better. So there! On to the food…..
I have posted about Acme Food and Beverage Co. at least once in the past, and for good reason, it is probably the best restaurant in Carrboro. Acme also speaks to my soul. Their theme is southern food with a gourmet twist, the two halves of me made whole. Their menu changes semi-regularly, with most of the changes occurring in the small plates portion of the menu. They also always have a few good specials for the evening. On this night they were offering Shad roe. Many of you have probably never heard of Shad roe, and I never had until an evening last year at this same restaurant. Shad is also known as river Herring. It is a fish native to the eastern/northeastern United States and prized for its roe, because of the remarkable taste and because it is only available during the spring. Thus, Shad roe is the culinary equivalent to the opening of flower buds. My roe was fried, covered in bacon, capers and lemon juice, then baked and served over cheese grits. This was an amazingly rich, savory and filling appetizer, so much so that I regretted ordering the pork belly small plate for my entrée. That regret soon faded the moment I took my first bite. It was so tasty that I completely glossed over the fact that I was full until I was making my way out to the car.
The pork belly was braised then seared, and served with a chile marmalade, radishes and pickeled confit onions. If I thought the last dish was rich, this one made it seem like a salad. It is often said that Pinot Noir goes well with pork, and that fact was proved once again, with my pairing of those two on this night. Before my Pinot I had a nice cocktail made with Bombay Sapphire Gin, rosemary syrup and lemon juice. While tasty, as with all Acme cocktails, it was not strong enough for me to pay the 8 dollars it cost. My sister loved the fried green tomato, mozzarella, and balsamic napoleon I had the last time, that she went with that on this night, as well as the Mahi-Mahi special. Megan had the field green salad and a nice vegetarian risotto. Acme can make a mean risotto, but while risotto is always rich, Acme’s risotto is like eating 2 lbs of butter, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. And as always, eating at Acme was not a good thing, it was a great thing.
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment