Monday, October 26, 2009

Cafe Gitane Avocado on Toast



Mom and I breakfasted at Cafe Gitane (definition: Gypsy Lady) 2 out of the 3 mornings she was here which should tip you off onto how great this place is. We both ordered the Avocado on Toast with our cappuccinos. My expectations were greatly exceeded. At first I was a little wary that this wouldn't be an adequate breakfast order--with a full day of walking, biking, and talking in front of me I needed something hearty and filling. Judging on the way this looks on a menu I didn't think it'd fit the bill. It did.

Ingredients:

thick cut of homemade grain bread
olive oil
smeared thick layer of avocado
generous squirt of lemon juice
red pepper flakes

*Key Ingredient: lemon and red pepper flakes*

The lemon and red pepper flakes elevated this simple dish from so-so to chi-chi. From drab to dramatic. There was more flavor in one bite of this than in any eggs benedict or egg scramble breakfast order I've ever had. Also key to its success was the bread. The crust was perfectly crusty--not hard--enough to stand up to the creamy avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment