Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cooking at Home

I recently moved to Durham, in an effort to save money in hopes of purchasing a house in the very near future. One unexpected side effect is that I moved into a house without a dishwasher. (Note to readers: it is important to know what is in the house/apt/cardboard box you are moving into. Note 2: I am stupid).

I hate washing dishes, luckily my roomate hates when the sink is full of dishes so he washes them when they get that way. But don't think I'm a total asshole, I make most of our meals, like we are a gay couple. I guess an old married gay couple, because we fight all the time about stupid things and don't have sex with each other. We don't really fight, we just argue about who is a better rapper than who, or what to watch on TV.

Sidebar, I started cooking when I was really young, but never really got into it until I realized girls like it when you can cook and when the food network started having Iron Chef and cool shows like that, now I consider myself pretty talented in that area.

Now that you have stopped reading because all of this was boring we can talk about the meal I made last night.

I stopped at the Whole Foods and got some fresh Coho Salmon (random fact: state fish of Chiba, Japan). I was pumped that they had great choices of fresh (not previously frozen) fish, so I made it as soon as I got home. Cut it into about 6 ounce pieces, placed a cast iron skillet on the stove with butter and olive oil, got the pan nice and hot and then put the fish in. After about 5 minutes I flipped them and seared them on the top side for a good 3 or 4 minutes. The result, perfectly crispy skin and salmon cooked as good as you can cook it. (I prefer my fish barely cooked thru, some people feel otherwise, those people are wrong).

I served the salmon over some fresh pasta with sauteed broccolini and brussel sprouts. I kind of wish I would've had a sauce, but I didn't really put alot of thought into dinner, I was mad hungry.

You will see a theme with my meals and brussel sprouts b/c they are my fav vegetable. Cut them in half, put them cut side down in a cold oiled pan. Put heat on medium, in ten minutes deglaze with red wine and turn them over until wine reduces. Best thing ever!

After that, my roomate was fine with doing the dishes.

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment