Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Acme



Tonight I went to dinner with my favorite person in the entire world, my sister.  As much as I love her, she is a total pain in the ass when it comes to choosing a place to eat.  Luckily for her I was in the mood to pay for us to have a nice meal, and lucky for me it was one of the few times she wasn’t too busy to take me up on my offer. 
We went to Acme Food and Beverage Co. in Carrboro.  It is one of our favorite spots, showed to me years ago by my friend Katie.  I have had countless great meals at Acme.  One of my favorite things about this restaurant is that there is something for all types of people on the menu, and even better it is all great.  The best thing though, is the way that Acme puts a Southern twist on classic dishes or has a gourmet take on Southern classics. 
For my dinner I had two of the small plates.  The first was a fried green tomato and fresh mozzarella napoleon with tomato confit, sweet corn, and a balsamic reduction.  The tomatoes were crispy, hot and luscious, while the mozzarella was creamy and cool.  This contrast of temperatures, along with the amazing balsamic reduction, made the dish.  After that I had a local pork red chile relleno.  Along with the pork, the relleno was filled with rice, cilantro and cheese and served over a spicy mole.  I wish I could recall the name of the chile that was used (almost certain it was an Anaheim but not positive), while I love the standard poblano, this was a nice change of pace, and the mole was so delicious, almost too spicy to eat on its own, it melded perfectly with the rich taste of the stuffing. 
Jordan had the Acme Burger Deluxe.  A burger might seem boring, but not at Acme, cooked perfectly with their great hand cut fries it’s a perfect burger, especially for J, she can never turn down a bacon cheeseburger, or a bacon anything for that matter.  We each had a drink, I am not the biggest fan of their cocktails because they are always a tad sweet for me, but they had a Hendrix Martini, so I couldn’t resist.  I should’ve stuck to my usual glass of Pinot Noir, because the drink was just average.  The wine list is so extensive at Acme; I suggest always sticking to that.  And I suggest always keeping Acme in your rotation of restaurants in the area; it is one of the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment