Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Smoky Tomato Soup

Put this recipe in your back pocket. I found it in Food & Wine's July 2009 edition and I'm filing it away in my foodie file because it was so easy to make and delicious to taste (Naomi Pomeroy submitted it, I don't want to deny her-whoever she is-credit). The soup actually wasn't as smoky as I thought it'd be, so if you like smoky flavor add more paprika.

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup EVOO
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. grated orange zest
salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry rose wine (I didn't have any on hand so I used a dry white wine)
2 15-oz cans chopped tomatoes 

2 cups water
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tbsp. sour cream (I also didn't have any on hand so I used a little heavy cream)
crispy bacon to top upon serving

1. In a saucepan, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, 2 minutes. Stir in the sugar, paprika, orange zest, 1 tbsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the rose and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes with their juices; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
3. Stir in the water, OJ and sour cream. Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth.

I used San Marzano brand of chopped tomatoes which I think made a big difference.-Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment