Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mochi Ice Cream



I first tried Mochi ice cream in Hawaii and to my delight, found some last night in the Trader Joe's frozen dessert section. I'm willing to bet this is a little tough to find on the East Coast since it's a Japanese brand but it's worth the hunt.

In case you're curious, mochi means "decimated sticky rice." Each mochi ice cream ball consists of a gooey rice flour shell, which is like a soft dough, filled with flavored ice cream. Each is about the size of those little soy sauce dishes you get at your place setting at sushi restaurants. Flavors come in mango, chocolate, strawberry, and green tea (that's all I saw at least). I must say, the first time I had one I was a little weirded out from the rice flour but it's a texture thing I eventually got used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment