Saturday, November 7, 2009

DBGB



Mary Cook and I saddled up at the bar (well, behind the bar on the windowsill ledge) at DBGB on Houston and Bowery the other evening. We started with a glass of champagne each and decided that while we were there we might as well try some of Daniel Boulud's saucisson bites and appetizers. While the ambiance and cushioned bar seats for two jived with my standards, I can't say the food did. We tried out the Tuna Crudo and Pig's Head Terrine (Fromage de Tete). We both like pate but figured we would test our limits and go with the Pig's Head Cheese--wrong choice.

Pig's Head Cheese Ingredients:

pig's head that's been thrown in a food processor

Yuck. Mary described it as Oscar Meyer bologna. I couldn't help but think "chewy" and "squeaky". We ate around the bologna/hot dog parts to keep our bartender from thinking we were food snobs but that only lasted about 2 bites each.....and they were the kind of bites where you chew without breathing. In the back of your mouth. Our efforts were futile--for better--because he caught on to our grossed-out-ness and subtracted the order from our tab. Thank goodness!

I was going to post a picture of pig's head cheese that I googled but I can't. You do it then you'll understand why we weren't fans.

Tuna Crudo Ingredients:

6 cubes of rare ahi tuna
on top of radish, cucumber, & harissa-sesame sauce
bits of sticky rice in the sauce


*Key Ingredient: harissa-sesame sauce*

When the menu said "sticky rice" I envisioned a big sushi roll sized dumpling of sticky rice. The itty bitty bits of sticky rice in the sauce did not do it for me. The sauce was tasty though. Slightly spicy and tangy. Good to dress up the raw tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment